Housing young people who are most at risk of long-term homelessness will save our community hundreds of thousands of dollars and will likely save the lives of our most vulnerable youth.
“You Guys Saved My Life.”
Last year, Karis, Inc. (the House) provided services to 265 young people in our community who were without homes and without adult supervision.
Today, many House youth are thriving as managers in local businesses, working as electrical apprentices, attending Western Slope universities, addressing their trauma with psychologists, and even serving in other nonprofit organizations across the community.
These youth found promise and support at Karis, and because of this, they have futures and safety.
Sadly, This is not the reality for all of our youth…
For some youth, the road has been more difficult. Struggling with developmental delays, serious and persistent mental illness, or lifetimes of trauma, some of our youth have slipped into addiction or other life-threatening behaviors and are at risk of long-term homelessness.
Together, we can provide youth with a home
KARIS APARTMENT FEATURES AND INFORMATION
- Karis is working to establish a 34-unit apartment building for homeless youth (ages 18 to 24) in our community.
- The building will provide permanent housing and services for young people at serious risk of long-term homelessness
- The building will have a single point of entry and will be staffed around the clock, every day of the year. There will be a large, secure, south-facing patio off the main room and more than 30,000 square feet of outdoor space for a dog run, children’s play equipment, and recreational activities. Apartments will have full kitchens and single bathrooms and will be fully furnished.
- The building will have more than 3,000 square feet of common space for therapy, art, cooking, electronic gaming, and shared meals.
- We hope to break ground in the fall of 2019 and complete construction by the end of 2020.
- On weekdays, evenings, and weekends, the youth will be surrounded by an incredible set of in-house services.
- At Karis apartments, youth will have on-site access case managers, therapists and support staff. These services will be provided for the next 20 years!
“The Karis apartments will bring hope to our most vulnerable youth before they become homeless adults.”
– David Scanga, Karis Board Chair
WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
MAKE A ONE-TIME DONATION TO BUILD THE KARIS APARTMENTS.
COMMIT A MONTHLY CONTRIBUTION TO SUPPORT THE WORK OF THE HOUSE.
DONATE VITAL GOODS AND FUNDS, OR VOLUNTEER TO HELP GENERATE GIFTS.
PLEDGE TO COMMIT A DONATION PAID OVER TIME FOR THE KARIS APARTMENTS.